Approaches to the Study of Ibn ʻArabi and the Akbarian School: Theories, Texts, and Practices
The 2020 edition of the Summer School “Studies in Sufism”, organized by the association Perennia Verba in collaboration with MIAS (Muhyiddin Ibn Arabi Society) Latina, will take place in the form of online seminars from 26th August to 5th September, with the possibility to listen and interact with different scholars about the fundamental aspects of the doctrine of Ibn ʻArabī and the methodologies to approach it.
Every lesson will address a different aspect of the teaching of the Shaykh al-Akbar and his followers, from the context in which Ibn ʻArabī emerged in al-Andalus to his technical terminology as expressed in his works and systematized by later authors. The following list is just a brief summary of the topics that will be discussed during the seminars:
- Akbarian technical terminology
- Hermeneutical approach to Qur’ān
- Numerological and letters symbolism
- Poetic imagery and its symbolism
- Muhammadan wholeness
- Unity of Being vs Unicity of Existence
- Andalusi Sufism
- Ibn ʻArabī’s works: major texts, handwritten sources and their contents
- Main works of Qūnawī: texts, sources and contents
- The main Masters of the Akbarian School
- Qur’anic structure of the works of Ibn ʻArabī
- The notion of Sanctity according to the Shaykh al-Akbar
Seminars will take place on Zoom for two consecutive weeks, up to a total of fourteen meetings. Each meeting will consist of a lecture (approximately one hour) and a following discussion (no actual time limit, but indicatively no more than one hour). Students will also have exclusive access to a forum where they can further develop the discourse, interacting with teachers and other participants. The forum will be open also after the end of the Summer School.
Lessons will be in English and knowledge of Arabic is desirable but not strictly required.
Seminars will take place on Zoom from 24th August to 5 September 2020.
For more information contact us through the form in the subscription page.